I had decided last year that if possible I would ask my Admin team to purchase agendas for my Kindergarten students this year. They have not been used in the past at my school and I found that it was difficult to send messages home and to keep track of the numerous separate notes that I would receive in one day. My Admin team was very supportive of my decision and I am very glad to report that I have been using them for the last few weeks and I am loving it.
I feel as if I should mention that adding agendas to a Kindergarten classroom does add about 20 to 25 extra minutes to what I need to get accomplished during the day because the students are not yet used to the routines involved with agendas but it is worth every minute of it. In my classroom we keep the agendas in a Ziploc bag so that it is protected in their backpack from accidental spills, as well as helping to keep any forms that are being returned to school in one place. I have explained my hopes and desires for the agendas to the parents and so far they all seem on board with it.
The routine that we follow in the classroom is as follows:
- The students place their agendas on the counter, in their Ziploc bag, as soon as they have hung up their backpacks.
- I check the agendas and put a sticker over the date indicating to the parents that I have looked through the agenda.
- If the parents write me a note, I will initial the note and respond if necessary.
- If there is anything that the parents need to know, I will hand write in the agenda if it is only for a few parents. I will also write in messages to the parents if their child has had a good day or done something well.
- If there is some information that I need to pass on to all the parents, I will include a label with that information.
- Once I have finished going through the agendas, I will put the agendas in the students mailboxes.
- At the end of the day, the students take their agenda and put it in their backpacks.
Like my title states, I currently love having agendas for my students. I feel as if I am better organized as I am able to keep track of the notes that the parents are sending to me, I have not lost any notes because they are all in the same place and important forms are be returned to me much more efficiently this year because they are not getting lost in a backpack somewhere.